Friday 14 June 2013

Brilliant Bubble Wrap


One of the attendees at my Scarecrow Building Workshop suggested using surplus bubble wrap to pad out the Mr. Softee torso, as an alternative to scrunched up newspaper. This week, I’ve been building another soft bodied scarecrow and I though I’d put bubble wrap to the test. It really works! As well as being more mouldable and waterproof, especially when well secured with parcel tape, bubble wrap is much lighter than newspaper so the whole ‘crow’ is more manageable.



 This ‘crow’ is female, with a figure to die for but at present she’s headless. 



I’ve made her some calico hands; the fingers have been stuffed with pipe cleaners so that they can be posed, and her palms are filled out with a small amount of bubble wrap. She has realistic, false fingernails! 



Her feet are also made from calico; her toes have stuffed with pipe cleaners and her feet with bubble wrap. False toenails complete the picture. 




Her torso has been sheathed in a flesh pink vest and long-janes. Stylish or what? I'll trying out a needle-sculpted head for this scarecrow, of which more in the next blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment