Sunday 7 July 2013

Angela Bowen's Imaginative Poem, The Trail.


Angela composed this poem especially for the Scarecrows' Supper that marked the conclusion of our trail. She read it at our after dinner entertainment. It is truly inspired! Thank you Angela for allowing me to share it with my readers.

The Trail
By Angela Bowen

Number 1 was at the Church
A bellringer, who didn’t ring bells.
Number 2 was a witch on a broomstick
And she wasn’t making any spells.
Number 3 was a mum and a Dad
And Mum was wearing pink shoes.
And then I walked to Church lane
To see loads of Scarecrow Statues.

A footballer and a guinea pig
And a dog with a shiny handbag,
Number 4, it was wearing a dress.
Was that dog supposed to be in drag?
Number 5 was the Scarecrow of Liberty,
Made by an American I’ve no doubt,
Holding a rake and a watering can,
And with white sheets blowing about.

Number 6 had one wooden leg,
And Number 7 was Kermit in green.
Then I made a wish at Number 8.
I wished that it wouldn’t rain.
More Tea Vicar was Number 9.
He didn’t look like our Dave Bell.
Now what were they talking about?
I’m sure neither of them will tell.

Superman was guarding his house,
And then Woody was at the Woodyard.
Number 12 was down near the Green,
He was Hagrid the giant Wizard.
I remember spotty boots and an umbrella,
Then a Guide in her uniform blue,
And Cinderella in shabbyish clothes.
I hope she goes to the Ball, don’t you?

Number 16 was 3 scarecrows
I’d seen them at Church or on the blog.
Then the witch with the pointed nose,
I hope she won’t turn me into a frog.
Number 18 had plenty of humour,
A lazy chap in a very loud shirt
And someone stuck down a hole,
And a wheelbarrow full of some dirt.

Ere Wiggo was Number 19,
That hero with a flag on is bike.
Then a pirate wielding a sword
And mini ‘G’ I couldn’t help but like.
Two characters from Lord of the Rings
Form a film that I know I have seen.
Then down to Pinks Close where Pinky
Had obviously done some shopping.

Then I was a parachutist way up high,
Then a child who was clearly at play,
Oh, and those magnificent straw horses
Neither of them were heard to neigh.
There was Noah with his Art
And a mermaid with some fishy scales
And another, who’d had so much to drink
Too drunk to tell any tales.

Number 30 was crossing his legs,
And as I walked into London Road
Where Harlequin was juggling with balls,
Over 150 diamonds had been sewed.
Three children were in a car,
And Bradwell Road was now in sight.
Blackbeard, and then Miss Muppet
Complete with spider, who’d given her a fright.

There were many at Loughton School,
Most of them tied to a tree.
A Brownie sat by her campfire.
Everyone has been so busy.
A knight in his tinfoil armour
Straddled the hedge with his horse.
Then on to Cavendish House,
The gardener was Alan Titchmarsh, of course.

Sunflowers and a tennis racquet
Were items on Clyde in Paynes Drive.
And then Keyne was an office worker,
I loved the train by his side.
Loughton First School had Woody and Jessie
And a family all about the Climate.
Then 46 was litter clearing,
A job I’m sure we’d all hate.

A splendid robot I saw in the Meadway,
There was straw sprouting from many a joint.
Then the scarecrow reading a paper,
He liked birds, so what was the point?
A decorator was Number 49
Number 50 was a chef on a break.
51 was that lovely Scarecow
Wearing a pinny, for decency’s sake.

A gardener at manor Cottage
With his plants and a fork, was Brian.
Then Pool House with his red and black kit on,
 And the head and the face of a lion.
Number 54 was rally quite apt,
With a teacher outside of School House.
Then a woman reclined in her bed,
There for B&B at Beech House.

Harry Potter was in the Graveyard
Along with scouts who were by a campfire.
And a Priest with his bow but no arrow,
And now a cup of tea was all I desired.
It’s been great on the Scarecrow trail,
I’ve entered roads where I’ve never been.
I’ve met people and enjoyed conversations,
Oh, I do hope they’ll hold one again!



No comments:

Post a Comment