Friday 19 April 2013

Stocking the Craft Stall


Good friends know that when I sit down to relax in front of the TV at the end of the day, I like to have some knitting close by, to keep my hands busy. This week, I’ve already finished two knitted scarves to add to a small stash that is accumulating in a bedroom drawer, ready to be sold on the craft stall up at All Saints’ Church during the Scarecrow Trail.
I love to hunt down unusual yarns and I have favourite, small independent shops that I like to visit regularly to see what they have in store. One is The Knitting Hut at Woburn Sands; another is the Wool Shop at Olney. Unusual usually means expensive, but my view is that if I’m going to put in the hours to transform raw yarn into a stylish accessory, I may as well use the best quality materials that have eye appeal, handle well and make pleasing gifts for discerning individuals.

The yarns I’m knitting with at the moment include the range by a Japanese manufacturer of color-transitioning yarn called Noro, and my latest find, Malabrigo, a range of kettle dyed and hand painted yarns from Uruguay. Most are in summer weights and include cool cotton blends. My friends are probably heaving a sigh of relief to know that, so long as the craft stall goes well, they won’t be receiving yet another knitted scarf from me at Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment